15 February 2009

ravioli, redux

My last batch of ravioli looked good and tasted good, but they mostly busted up in the cooking water. I think the problem was air pockets and whimpy dough. So, today I worked with my favorite -- spinach dough. I think this dough may hold up better in the cooking. And, I tried to get the air out before sealing. We'll see. I suppose the risk with this variety is they might be too "spinachy" (>gasp<). Again, we'll see. I told Donna that I was making ravioli again today and she asked for lots of pictures... so, here they are! The first batch of dough was made in the food processor (a new technique for me) and then I made a second batch of dough by hand. --- I'm exhausted, so I hope this all makes sense!

2 comments:

Hope said...

Hmm, so you really, really, really heavily dust the frame with flour? Maybe that has been part of our problem. Your dough also looks a lot nicer than mine...So nice and shiny, so green! I think you may have inspired me to try ravioli again. Can you send me the filling recipe?

Mary said...

Hi Hope... I'd be glad to send you the recipe, could you send me your email again? Send to marypatwalsh at gmail. I think that the pasta came our much better, integrity-wise, when I made it in the food processor. It feels "inauthentic", but hey, it works. Yep, the frame is very heavily covered w/ flour. It's a little tedious to brush it off after it freezes, but it works. -- My next project is to try pumpkin ravioli. Let me know if you have a recipe for that. Ciao bella!