06 May 2009

dryer balls -- progress report

A few months ago, Donna clued me in to the idea of using "dryer balls" instead of fabric softener sheets. The original discussion involved tennis balls, but that idea just didn't appeal to me. I can't recall how we landed on the idea of using felted wool, but we did. Once I decided this was something I wanted to try, I used the instructions from this website. What follows is my report to Donna. Enjoy...

When you first make the balls, they are encased in nylon pantyhose. While they are still in the nylons you wash and dry them several times in really hot water. This serves to "felt" them. This picture shows them after coming out of the nylon cocoon.


The photo below shows how the balls have held up over a couple of months of continuous use. I use all 3 balls in the dryer instead of dryer sheets. Although they are a bit "thump, thump, thump" noisy, they are fabulous! I really love them! I still use just a touch of unscented liquid fabric softener in the rinse, but also realize that I live in high-altitude desert. Less than zero humidity around here. One of the nice things about the balls is that things like towels come out softer than ever -- they get 'ubber-fluffed'! And really, there is almost no static.

So, I highly recommend this small change in consumption. It works for me! Oh, and there is still a 4th ball... somewhere under a dresser, I think!

No comments: